Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Ham and Beans {Slow-cooker}

Winter is almost over and Spring is upon us.  So, I thought I would post one more cozy winter recipe in our last few days of winter.  I make my recipe for Slow Cooker Pinto Beans (EF, DF, GF) often.  One of the times I was picking up dried pinto beans at the grocery store, I noticed a dried bag of bean medley.  This mixture of dried beans intrigued me.  I wanted to find something delicious to make with them that would expose my family to some legumes we don't regularly eat.  When my husband saw the bag laid out on my counter, he was skeptical.  But he really enjoyed the end result as did the kids, especially when it was served with Honey Wheat Cornbread (EF, DF).

We enjoyed this recipe so much.  I think I will use leftover Easter ham to make it again soon!




Ham and Beans {Slow Cooker}

6 c water for soaking
6 c water for cooking
4 cups ham, chopped
1 lb dried beans*
1 lg sweet onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 t sea salt
1 t black pepper

The night before, rinse beans and discard any obviously shriveled and/or discolored beans.  Put in slow cooker with 6 cups of water.  Put on lid and soak the beans overnight. 
In the morning, drain soaking beans and re-rinse.  Put beans back into the slow-cooker.  Peel onion leaving it whole and place in the beans.  Do not chop or slice the onion.  This allows you to remove it after cooking but still benefit from the flavor.  Add 6 cups of water for cooking, ham, minced garlic, salt and pepper.  Cook beans on high for 8 hours.  Serve with cornbread.  

*I used a bean medley and we loved it!  It had dried great northern beans, pinto beans, green split pea, small red bean, baby lima bean, light red kidney beans, small white beans, black eye peas, pink beans, lentils, yellow split peas, large lima beans, black beans, dark red kidney beans and garbanzo beans.

Gluten-free notes:  If you have a gluten allergy, double check your ham ingredients to make sure they do not contain gluten.

Main dish – serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment