Thursday, May 17, 2012

Meat, Potatoes & Green Beans

My mom made this for us a lot when I was growing up.  Now it is such a comfort food for me.  I hesitated to share this, thinking this recipe isn't fancy enough for a food blog.  But let's be real, with kids, jobs or both, weeknight meals are just not fancy.  Most nights the goal is simply to get everyone fed and into bed at a decent hour!  Anyway, this recipe is much better than it looks in the picture and our kids love it.  With a little extra chopping, it is a great first table food for older babies.  Oh . . . and did I mention it is CHEAP to make!



Meat, Potatoes & Green Beans

1 pound ground beef
2  14.5 oz cans green beans (or 1 large can) UNDRAINED
4 large baking potatoes
½ t seasoned salt
½ t freshly ground black pepper
½ t onion powder
½ t garlic powder

Cook ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink.  Peel and chop potatoes into about one inch cubes.  Add potatoes, green beans and spices to meat.  Stir and cover with a tight fitting lid.  Simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
Serves 4-6

12 comments:

  1. What do you serve for.sides with this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rely on this recipe for a quick easy dinner. Because it has green beans and potatoes in it, we usually don't add another side. But I think a nice tossed salad would go really well with it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this recipe. My mom made the same dish often when I was a kid, using fresh green beans when they were in season. Such good, simple comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been really surprised by how popular this post has been. It is a good comfort dish that isn't all that bad for you. What did your Mom add to cook it with fresh green beans? I may need to try it with fresh green beans. That sounds good!

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for this! My mom used to make this too, she is not with us anymore, I have tried to make it on my own. I think she called it Groodle moodle or something like that. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groodle Moodle - That is a fun name for it! I have been amazed at how popular this recipe has been. Apparently, it has been a go to recipe for Moms for years! :)

      Delete
  4. Just got done making this. My parents called it mish mash. We always added soy sauce. Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so surprised at how popular this recipe has been. I think a lot of people ate this or something similar as kids. I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. Can you substitute corn instead of green beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not ever tried it with corn. It would give it a very different taste. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

      Delete
  6. We never had a name for it, growing up, but it was a definite go-to for Mom. She always made it with just meat and potatoes, and would have a veggie and/or salad on the side. I love adding the green beans in it. Kids eat it up every time. I love all the different names you all have for this. I'm going to have to bring them up and vote on a name for our family to call it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so surprised by how many had this meal growing up! ;)

      Delete