Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pillsbury Cupcakes {made Egg-free}

I LOVE cake.  There is nothing better than the from scratch bakery taste of fresh cake.  But I have also always loved the basic cupcake made from a boxed cake mix.  When your household is on an egg-free diet, this can be a bit of a challenge.  But I was determined to adjust the added ingredients in the mix so the eggs could be omitted.  From trial and error, I have found that the pudding in the Pillsbury mix seems to help hold the cake together.  The mixes without the pudding were much more crumbly.

One of my children has inherited my love for cake and thinks we should have it for every holiday or fun occasion.  I tend to agree!  So, this week we made some yummy Easter cupcakes.  Happy Easter!!

[UPDATE 06/16/2016:  I have been making this recipe for years now.  My kids love these cupcakes, but they are quite crumbly.  That I think makes it harder to feed them to non-allergy friends.  I recently made this recipe for Club Soda Cake (EF).  The texture using the club soda is more consistent with a cake containing egg.  I haven't tried it with cupcakes but I have made a layer and sheet cake, which this recipe won't do so I am confident it will work well.  Give it a try!]

 
We made these for Easter in 2012 and topped them with jelly beans.

We made them again this Easter (2013) and topped them with chocolate eggs.


Pillsbury Cupcakes

1 box Pillsbury cake mix*
1 c water
½ c oil
1 T baking powder

Preheat the oven to 350o.  Grease cupcake tins or line them with paper baking cups.  Mix ingredients with an electric mixer on low until combined.  Scrap the sides of mixing bowl.  Mix an additional 2 minutes on medium to medium-high.  Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 full.  Bake for about 18 minutes.  Cool cupcakes in pan.  Frost cupcakes when completely cooled.  Makes 20 cupcakes.

* I used the Pillsbury Moist Supreme Funetti cake mix.  This mix calls for the added ingredients of 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil and 3 eggs.  Pillsbury also has the following flavors: chocolate, classic white, classic yellow, dark chocolate, devil’s food cake, German chocolate, golden butter recipe, lemon, pineapple, pink lemonade and strawberry.  I checked the ingredient lists on the available mixes at my grocery store.  Classic white, classic yellow, funfetti and strawberry can all be made egg-free as described above.  See this post to make chocolate (Devil's Food) cupcakes.

Note:  The Pillsbury mixes do contain dairy.  I am not trying to promote one brand over the other.  I have just found that some brands work better when making adjustments for egg-free cooking. 

21 comments:

  1. We made red, white and blue funfetti cupcakes today for 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is T??? tablespoon or teaspoon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capital T is a Tablespoon and lower case t is a teaspoon. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I tried it and did not work well:( It's was soggy and taste like uncooked cake:(
    Have you tried gelatin and warm water?? I will try that this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may want to try increasing the cook time and test with a toothpick, as all ovens are different. You may also try adding a little corn starch. That can help with any excess moisture. But these cupcakes are more moist than other recipes. We like them that way. They taste fresh for several days. Thanks for your feedback. It is always good to hear what is and isn't working for people. Let me know if the gelatin works better for you.

      Delete
  4. I used this recipe and it is great! I can carry these to parties for my 16 month old now. Thank you so much! The only issue I had was frosting them but she doesn't seem to mind it without frosting, she's just so happy to get a cupcake. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad she likes them! What was the issue you had with frosting them?

      Delete
  5. Do you know if this recipe would work with a 13x9 cake pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried this particular recipe in a 13x9 cake pan. But I know these cupcakes tend to be a little crumbly and they dent in slightly in the middle. So, I don't think they would work well in a larger cake pan. Try this cake instead...
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2014/05/vanilla-crazy-cake.html

      Delete
    2. You can also make these cupcakes and turn them into cake pops...
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2013/05/cake-pops-egg-free.html

      Delete
  6. Would this recipe work for a giant cupcake? A pan like this: http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-5038-Giant-Cupcake-Pan/dp/B000UPRAXA. I need a smash cake for my 1-year olds birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for the late reply. I do not think this would work. I think it would crumble. Try my crazy cake recipe instead.
      Vanilla
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2014/05/vanilla-crazy-cake.html
      Chocolate
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2013/07/crazy-chocolate-cake-egg-free-dairy-free.html

      Delete
    2. Even then, I would grease the pan very generously! Let me know if it works!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the recipe! I loved how easy it is and very closely mimics the real thing. My husband couldn't taste the difference. I thought the texture was a bit more squishy. This will be our go to cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked them. Yes, they are a little more moist than when they are made with egg. You can try cooking them a little longer to see if that helps.

      Delete
  8. Somehow these were both moist and crumbly, lol. But delicious! Do not fill past 2/3rds or they WILL fall completely apart. Very yummy for when you're out of eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very correct. They are great for a quick fix to satisfy your sweet craving but probably not the best choice if you are trying to impress friends that don't live with food allergies. ;)

      Delete
  9. Instead of cupcakes, can I use a 9x9 pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend that for this recipe. I don't think it would rise up well in the middle and would be too crumbly. If you need a vanilla sheet cake, try this recipe
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2014/05/vanilla-crazy-cake.html

      Delete
  10. I am trying this, but we do not have baking powder. We only have baking soda, is there a way to make baking soda work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe calls for baking powder. But you can try this recipe for Vanilla Crazy Cake which uses baking soda...
      http://eggallergycooking.blogspot.com/2014/05/vanilla-crazy-cake.html

      Delete