Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cajun Spices

I recently made a couple of recipes that called for cajun spice mix.  When I looked at the grocery store, I was surprised to find that the first ingredient for this spice mix was often salt, and lots of it.  So, I decided to make my own spice mix for both recipes. 

The spice mix I use came from a little cajun cooking cookbook that I am pretty sure is out of print.  A guy I used to work for, of Creole descent, gave me a copy of the book.  He frequently made many of the recipes and said the book was a good representation of the kinds of foods his family used to make.  I will share the recipes soon.  The recipe below is the basic spice mix.  I generally adjust it to our taste, depending on what I am making.


Cajun Spices
Source:  Step-by-Step Cajun Cooking by Confident Cooking 

1 T garlic powder
1 T onion powder
2 t white pepper
2 t cracked black pepper
1 ½ t cayenne pepper
2 t dried thyme
½ t dried oregano

Mix the spices together and store in a spice jar.  Makes 4 2/3 tablespoons or 14 teaspoons of mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment