Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Southern Cornbread {Egg-free, Gluten-free}

I just pulled this cornbread out of my oven.  The picture below was taken as it is cooling.  I also made this recipe over Christmas, as written.  But I took note that the egg was 'optional'.  So, this time I made without the optional egg.  I do not have a cast iron skillet.  It is on my wishlist.  As you can see, I made the cornbread in a round cake pan.  I still preheated the pan but I used one tablespoon of butter in place of the bacon grease (also not readily on hand).  I found this recipe to be a teeny bit salty for my taste, even with using unsalted butter.  In the adaptation printed below, I also reduced the salt.

You have to try this the next time you make soup or chili this winter.  It isn't as sweet as my other cornbread recipes but is more authentic with true southern style cornbread.  Yummy!


Southern Cornbread Recipe


2 c cornmeal
2 t baking soda
¼ t salt
2 T sugar
1 ¼ c buttermilk
6 T unsalted butter, melted
1 T bacon drippings or unsalted butter

Preheat the oven 400°.  Put the bacon fat or butter in a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet or cake pan and put into the oven.  Mix together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix in buttermilk. Stir in the melted butter.  Add the cornbread batter to the hot pan and making sure it is evenly distributed.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until the edges are beginning to brown.  Let cornbread rest for 10-30 minutes before cutting.



No comments:

Post a Comment