Friday, June 22, 2012

Ranch Dressing {Egg-free}

When you are on an egg-free diet, ranch dressing can be tricky, as most recipes contain mayonnaise.  It pretty much has to be avoided when dining out.  While I have found a few brands that are egg-free, they just don't taste all that good.  So, I thought I would try making my own.  Before coming up with a recipe from scratch, I checked the dressing mix labels.  While most of the the dressing mixes contained egg or instructed you to add mayonnaise, most of the dip mixes didn't have egg and usually added sour cream.  So, why not use a dip mix and just thin it out?  This is exactly what I did!  I thinned it out with milk and added a little extra garlic and black pepper.  It turn out great! 



Ranch Dressing

16 oz light sour cream
2/3 c skim milk
1 t freshly ground black pepper
½ t garlic powder

Mix and refrigerate at least 4 hours prior to using.  

As written, this is A LOT of dressing.  I usually make a half recipe.  I think this would keep pretty well in the refrigerator for about a week.  If anyone thinks it stays fresh longer, let me know.  I also lightened it up a little with light sour cream and skim milk.  I am sure it would be great with regular or even fat free sour cream and regular or low-fat milk.  You may just have to adjust the amount of milk to get the desired consistency.

*Per the company website, this brand of dip mix is gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment