Friday, November 16, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

My husband loves chocolate chip cookies.  It is really hard on him when people bring them to work and he can't have any.  I came up with this recipe for chocolate chip oat cookies a few years ago.  I finally developed one for plain chocolate chip cookies.  He loves them both!  Which one do you like better?  Regardless, not much bests a delicious chocolate chip cookie and a glass of milk!

 

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ c unsalted butter*
½ c vegetable shortening
½ c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
2½ c flour
3 T milk*
1½ c semi-sweet chocolate chips*
1 c chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 375o.  Cream together the butter, shortening, both sugars and vanilla.  Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt mixing constantly.  Slowly mix in the flour.  Add milk one tablespoon at a time until dough starts to stick together.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 8-10 minutes.  Let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing. 
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

*Dairy-free notes:  I haven’t tried to make these dairy-free, but one of my readers did.  See her comment below.  She used butter flavored shortening in place of the butter and shortening combination used in my recipe.  She also replaced the milk with soy milk.  You would also need to ensure the chocolate chips used were non-dairy.

{UPDATE:  This was a good recipe, especially warm.  But they would harden once completely cooled.  So, I was always looking looking for a way to adjust them to improve the texture.  I finally figured it out!  One of my kid's teachers apparently makes better chocolate chip cookies than Mommy.  I found out that she puts pudding mix in the batter.  So, I adjusted my recipe to include some.  Ahhhh... cookie perfection!!  Try the new recipe here:  Best Chocolate Chip Cookies (EF)!} 

2 comments:

  1. Made these today with all butter flavored shortening plus 1 tablespoon of water and light
    soy milk. They came out really good. Our son has
    egg and dairy allergy and he really liked them. Oh and he is a adult. I had to bake them longer, but I have a old electric stove.
    Thank you for a great recipe.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! I am glad they worked for you. :)

      Delete