Thursday, November 29, 2012

Maple-Pecan Glaze on Pumpkin Cake

Last month, I posted a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake.  I suggested simply dusting with powdered sugar or topping with a cream cheese frosting.  While these are both delicious, I recently came across a recipe for a maple-pecan glaze.  I think this is the absolute perfect topping for this cake!!  It is nice to have options!

I also updated the cake recipe a little bit.  Originally posted, it was just cake mix and a can of pumpkin.  It baked up really well.  This time I added a little bit of oil.  Adding a little fat, enhances the flavor.  Veggies sauteed in oil do taste a bit more scrumptious than those that are simply steamed with water . . .  I was a little worried that the added oil would make the cake texture too heavy so I also added a little baking powder.  You can find the updated recipe here.





Maple-Pecan Glaze

4 T unsalted butter
3 T pure maple syrup
3 T heavy whipping cream
½ c confectioners' sugar
¼ c finely chopped pecan pieces, optional*

In a small saucepan, melt butter.  Stir in maple syrup and cream; bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and sift the confectioners' sugar into the hot mixture. Whisk until smooth. Let cool for about 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in the finely chopped pecans, if using. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

*I used a mini food processor to make my pecans pretty fine.  I measured them after processing them.

Note:  I labeled this recipe as gluten-free, because the only actual recipe listed is the maple-pecan glaze.  The pumpkin cake I have linked to is not gluten-free.  If you have a gluten allergy, try this glaze on your favorite gluten-free cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment