Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Chicken Carbonara {Egg-free}

Every so often, I take inventory of the food in my freezer and pantry to see what I may need to use up.  I really hate wasting food and plus it encourages me to maybe come up with something new.  This week, I had a box of spaghetti in the cabinet and some bacon and peas in the freezer.  What to make out of it?  I decided to try an egg-free version of Chicken Carbonara.  I researched various recipes and methods.  I am really happy with the results.  My husband especially enjoyed it!  There are so many foods that are off limits to him while dining out.  It is always a treat to have one of those made egg-free!

I have cayenne pepper listed as an ingredient.  I didn't use it on my first attempt but will for sure add it next time.  I am pretty confident on the amount needed, based on my experience making Spicy Shrimp Spaghetti (EF, DF, GF).  I have found I really like a little kick when a pasta dish isn't very saucy. 




Chicken Carbonara

6 slices bacon*, chopped
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 t salt
1 t ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic
1 pound spaghetti or gluten-free pasta
2 c frozen peas
1 c cream*
1 ½ c grated Parmesan cheese
3 T finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ t cayenne pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt if desired.  Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite.  While pasta is cooking, cook bacon and chicken (see below).  When the pasta is ready, put the peas in a large colander. Drain the pasta in the colander with the peas.

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon from skillet with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain fat from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings.

Season chicken with salt and pepper.  Heat 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breast in the bacon drippings until no longer pink.  Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.

Heat remaining tablespoon bacon drippings in skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in skillet until onion starts to soften.  Add garlic and cook until garlic starts to brown.   Stir in cream and parmesan cheese and cook to thicken slightly.  Stir in parsley, cayenne pepper and chicken.  Toss with spaghetti and peas. 

*If you are on a gluten-free diet, make sure the bacon is gluten-free.  If I were to make this on a regular basis, I may try to lighten it up by replacing the cream with evaporated fat-free milk or fat free half and half. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy! I think I will try and lighten it up too.

    ReplyDelete