Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chocolate Crazy Cake {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

Delicious!!  I love this cake!!  I have a sweet tooth and so does my husband.  I think we have passed this on to our kids.  We love sweets in our house!  But I think everyone has a favorite type of sweet.  My husband's is pie.  Hands down, mine is cake!  I LOVE cake.  I have found that cake can be a bit of a challenge egg-free.  I have several recipes that are still in the 'trial' phase.

I first saw this recipe in a cookbook.  Then I noticed it was all over the internet.  This recipe first emerged during the depression.  It became popular because it didn't include eggs or dairy when these ingredients were hard to come by.  The recipe seems to have made quite a come back now that food allergies are becoming more and more common.

Not only is this cake egg-free and dairy free, it bakes up beautifully and tastes fantastic!!  It really is a dream come true for this cake lover, who wants to share treats with her food allergy husband!

I topped my cake with this quick, delicious Chocolate Frosting (EF, GF).
 

 

Chocolate Crazy Cake
Sources:  I am not sure if any of these sources can really take credit for this cake, but I referenced recipes by Very Best Baking, Allrecipes.com and A Grandmother’s Legacy:  Amish & Mennonite Cooking.

3 c flour
2 c sugar
1/3 c cocoa
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
¾ c vegetable oil
2 T white vinegar
2 t vanilla
2 c cold water

Preheat oven to 350o.  Sift dry ingredients together in a 9”x13” ungreased pan.  Make three wells in the dry ingredients.  In one hole pour oil, in second pour vinegar and in third pour vanilla.  Over everything, pour cold water.  Mix all ingredients together with a fork until well blended, but do not over mix.  Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool and dust with powdered sugar or top with your favorite frosting. 

To make into a layer cake:

Cut out wax paper into a circle that fits the bottom of your two round cake pans.  Place wax paper in the bottom of the pan then grease with shortening on top of the paper and up the sides.  Mix cake in a bowl or stand mixer, but be sure to still follow the same directions by mixing the dry ingredients then making the three wells for the wet ingredients.  Pour evenly in the two prepared pans immediately and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool cake in pans on wire rack for about 20 minutes.  Invert onto wire rack, carefully peel off wax paper and cool completely.





4 comments:

  1. in your recipe you have a T and t is one teaspoon and one tablespoon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capital T is Tablespoon and lower case t is teaspoon.

      Delete
  2. Does this recipe work as a cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried them as cupcakes but I think it would work. I have done a sheet cake and a layer cake and that worked fine. I would spray the cupcake liners with a little cooking spray. Let me know how it works for you!

      Delete