Monday, January 13, 2014

Skinny Potato Soup {Slow-cooker}

A friend of mine made this soup for me for lunch years ago.  I wrote down the recipe and just now got around to making it myself.  It is so easy, delicious and pretty healthy!  It doesn't have all of the fat that most potato soups have.  It also smells wonderful while it is cooking.  We had this with a nice salad when another friend came over for lunch!  I also put some in the freezer for later.  





Skinny Potato Soup

6 baking potatoes, peeled and cut up
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 celery stalk, trimmed and diced
4 c chicken broth*
1 T dried parsley
1 t salt, or to taste
1 t black pepper, or to taste
1 12 oz can evaporated milk (I used 2%.)

Place all ingredients, except milk in slow-cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.  Stir in milk during last hour.  Mash potatoes with potato masher before serving.  Top with chopped chives, if desired.

*If on a gluten-free diet, make sure the brand of broth you are using is gluten-free. 

Dairy-free notes:  I think this recipe could easily be made dairy-free by subsituting a non-dairy milk.  Let me know if you try it and which milk you used.



No comments:

Post a Comment