Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Honey Wheat Pancakes {Egg-free}

Don't most of us start off the new year wanting to be healthier?  Well, I am trying to do that this year.  One way I am doing that is by modifying some of the recipes I make frequently.  Here is the same Pancake (EF) recipe I have been making for years.  I replaced half of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour.  I also replaced the sugar with honey.  I was pleasantly surprised by how much my family liked them.  My kids didn't even seem to notice that they were different.

Maybe that is because I also made most of them with mini chocolate chips!  Before you balk at my adding chocolate to my supposedly healthier pancakes, hear me out.  We normally eat our pancakes with pure maple syrup.  If you use one tablespoon of syrup for two pancakes, that is whopping 100 calories.  But if you use one teaspoon of chocolate chips for two pancakes, that is only 25 calories.  And with chocolate chips in your pancakes, who needs syrup?  It is amazing how a little bit of chocolate can add a lot of rich flavor!

If you like this recipe, you may also like Honey Wheat Cornbread (EF, DF).

 We had our pancakes with fruit and turkey sausage. 



Honey Wheat Pancakes (EF)
1 c whole-wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
2 T honey
1 T baking powder
½ t salt
1/3 c cooking oil
2 c skim1 milk
½ c mini chocolate chips (optional)

Mix together both flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Gradually add milk and oil, while blending on low.  Then mix on medium speed until blended through.  Using a large spoon or muffin scoop, pour batter onto a nonstick griddle2 heated to medium-low to medium heat.  Cook on first side until air bubbles come to the surface and edges start to appear dry.  Flip and cook on the other side until golden.

Honey Wheat Pancakes w/ Chocolate Chips (EF)
Mix batter as described above.  Using a large spoon or muffin scoop, pour batter onto a nonstick griddle heated to medium-low to medium heat.  Sprinkle each pancake with about ½ teaspoon of chocolate chips.  Cook on first side until air bubbles come to the surface and edges start to appear dry.  Flip and cook on the other side until golden.

Makes about 20 3 inch pancakes.

Notes:
1  If I don’t specify on what kind of milk then that means I think it doesn’t matter which kind you use.  In this recipe, I think skim milk works the best.  The thicker higher fat milks seem to not cook as well and the inside of the pancake doesn’t get cooked all the way.
2 I don’t have many nonstick pans but I do have a nice nonstick griddle.  I think it is a must for pancakes.  If you don’t have one, these will likely stick to your pan.

 Honey Wheat Pancakes without and with chocolate chips.



No comments:

Post a Comment