Sunday, May 31, 2015

Chef Salad

Another salad that is interesting and tasty enough for a manly man!  My husband loved this chef salad.  I know you all probably don't really need a recipe for salad, but I always find it helpful to see salad recipes to inspire me!  So, I thought I would share.


Chef Salad

2 c Mixed greens
½-1 c Cooked ham cubes*
¼ c Carrot, shredded
¼ c Cheese, shredded 
¼ c Black olives, sliced
½ c English cucumber, sliced and quartered
½ c Grape tomatoes, cut in half
1-2 T Ranch (We like Wishbone Ranch, which is egg-free and gluten-free.)

In a large bowl, combined desired amount of each ingredient, omit some, add others, depending on your tastes.  I find that if you add a little dressing and mix it into the salad, then you can get away with using a lot less dressing.

The quantities I listed above are great for one large salad.  According to my calorie counting ap, it is only about 400-600 calories.  That is not bad at all for a filling, delicious lunch.

*The first time I made this salad, I used leftover ham that we had in the freezer from our Easter dinner.  I have also bought packaged cubed ham from the grocery store.  I like to sear my ham in a skillet to brown it up a little, which enhances the flavor and dries up any excess moisture on your ham pieces.  You don’t need to add oil or anything to the pan.  If you are on a gluten-free diet, make sure your ham is gluten-free.


No comments:

Post a Comment