Saturday, October 17, 2015

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

Well, this recipe was a total accident.  I was experimenting with possibly making some adjustments to my chocolate chip cookies recipe.  But when the batter looked all wrong and I knew it wouldn't roll into cookies well, I almost threw it out.  But I decided to press it into my jelly roll pan and bake it up anyway.  I figured regardless of the result my husband and kids would eat some of it.  Well, what do you know. . .   My mess up baked up into these yummy chocolate chip cookie bars!  I am so glad I didn't throw out the dough!  This recipe makes about 24 two inch square cookies.  I even froze some for the kids' lunches.  If you put a frozen cookie in their lunch in the morning, it is thawed well before lunchtime.


Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars 

1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, melted (14 T)
½ c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½  t salt
3 c flour
7 T milk
1 ½ c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375o.  Mix both sugars, flour, baking powder, baking sode and salt.  Slowly pour in butter, mix.  Then pour in milk and mix.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Press into an ungreased 17¼ inch x 11½ inch rimmed cookie sheet (jelly roll pan).  Bake for about 15 minutes.  Let cool in pan before cutting. 
Makes about 24 two inch square cookie bars.



2 comments:

  1. I would like to shorten the sugar! would 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar work instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sugar helps the cookie stick together, especially without egg. You can try with less sugar but they may be more likely to fall apart. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete