Sunday, March 11, 2012

Shredded Chicken {Slow-Cooker}

I have a little bit of a love affair with my slow cooker.  When you are busy, it just really makes life so much easier.  Plus, meat comes out so juicy and tender.  What isn't to love?  This is my slow cooker recipe for shredded chicken.  I try to buy split chicken breasts when they are on special.  I really recommend using the split breasts.  Cooking chicken with bones and skin adds a lot of flavor.  Since it cooks up so nice and tender, the skin and bones can easily be removed.  I buy four large split breasts and cook all of it.  Then I use half and freeze the rest for a later use.  I usually use my frozen cooked shredded chicken within a month but I am pretty sure you could freeze it for much longer.  I will share a recipe for shredded chicken tacos in my next post . . . stay tuned. 




Shredded Chicken {Slow-Cooker}

4 split chicken breasts (with bones and skin – at least 4 pounds)
1 c water
½ t freshly ground pepper
6 cloves fresh garlic, minced

Pour water into slow cooker.  Place two chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker.  Do not remove skin or bones.  Cooking with the skin and bones adds flavor.  Season with half of the garlic, salt and pepper.  Add remaining two chicken breasts and season with remaining garlic, salt and pepper.  Cook on high for about 6 hours.  Cool slightly before handling.  Remove the skin and pull the chicken off bone.  Shred chicken with a knife and fork.  Use two shredded breasts for dinner and freeze remaining two for another time.  Add about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth with the chicken before placing it in the freezer.  This will keep it moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment