Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chili-Rubbed Salmon Tacos

This is one of my all time favorite recipes to cook and eat!  My husband and I have been together since our freshman year in college . . . a long time!  We were too poor to eat out much during those early years, but when we did one of our favorite restaurants served an entree with this name.  I am not sure what all is in their version but this one is close enough and we love it!  Also, see my last post about how to remove the skin from salmon.

 

Chili-Rubbed Salmon Tacos

1 pound salmon
½ T olive oil
1 t chili powder
½ t chipotle chili powder
½ t cumin
½ t seasoned salt
½ t garlic powder
¼ t onion powder
1/8 t cayenne pepper, or to taste*

Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.  Mix the spices in a small bowl.  Rub half of the spice mixture on each side of the fish.  Cover with lid and cook 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.  Break up salmon into large chunks.
 
Serve on warmed soft corn tortillas and top with your favorite taco toppings.  We top ours with red cabbage, avocado, salsa and cheese.  I often substitute broccoli slaw for the cabbage.  Makes about 8 tacos.

* I think a little cayenne pepper should go in almost every recipe, except for baked goods.  It adds just the right amount of kick to really spice up your dish.  I have had to cut back on how much cayenne pepper I use in all of my cooking due to the little mouths at my house.  But I do think think this recipe needs some.

Salmon rubbed with chili seasoning mixture.

Seared salmon ready to be broken up for tacos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment