Monday, April 2, 2012

How to Remove the Skin from Salmon

For some recipes, you need skinless salmon.  If your grocery store is like mine, the skinless salmon is at least $1 more per pound.  That may not be a lot of money but once I figured out a quick, easy way to remove the skin, I just can't justify paying it.  I thought I would share since my next post will call for skinless salmon.

Here is a one pound filet of fresh salmon.

Lightly coat the bottom of your skillet with olive oil.  Heat oil to medium or medium-high heat.  Place salmon skin side down in heated skillet.  Let it cook for a few minutes. 

Flip salmon onto a plate skin side up.  I use a thin stainless steal spatula but you could also use a butter knife or some other thin metal utensil.  Slip your utensil in between the skin and salmon and the skin slides right off.

Here is the now skinless salmon.  I would only do this right before you plan to cook the salmon.

I use a stainless steal electric skillet but I think a non-stick skillet would work just fine.  I do have to scrap some of the skin off my stainless steal skillet, you may not have to do that with a non-stick.  Stay tuned for my next post using skinless salmon to make Chili-rubbed Salmon Tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment