Friday, May 4, 2012

Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies {Egg-free}

These cookies are an all time favorite at my house.  I think the blended oats is what makes them so good!  Blending the oats into a powder gives it the texture of a regular chocolate chip cookie and the taste of an oatmeal cookie.  They are best with the chocolate chips and nuts.  In this picture, I have omitted the nuts to accommodate some of the little discriminating mouths at my house.  If you like these, also try this recipe for chocolate chip cookies.

 

Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies

1 c unsalted butter, at room temperature*
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
1/3 c milk
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
2 ½ c flour
2 ½ c oats, blended (old fashion oats)
2 c or 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c chopped pecans (optional)

Measure 2 1/2 c oats and blend in a blender or food processor until a course powder and set aside.  Be sure to measure the oats before blending them.  Cream together the butter and both sugars.  Mix in the vanilla and milk.  Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing constantly.  Slowly mix in the flour and blended oats.  Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.  Batter will be thick.  Roll into balls and place three inches apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 9 minutes at 375o.  Let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing.  Makes about 4½ - 5 dozen cookies.

*Leave the butter out on the counter for a few hours prior to making to soften. 

Dairy-free notes:  I haven’t tried to make these dairy-free.  If any of you try this recipe with a dairy-free margarine and dairy-free milk substitute (soy, coconut, almond, etc), let me know how they turn out.  Thanks!

 This is what the blended oats looks like.

3 comments:

  1. These freeze well. . . I just pulled a bag of them out of the freezer. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! We have an egg allergy at out house and I found the same problem that a lot of recipes that are egg free were also dairy free or gluten free, and we didn't need that. I'm anxious to try some of your recipes,esp this cookie one. Looks delish! I also started a food blog for egg free recipes. If you care to check it out it is eggfreebakery.blogspot.com my kids also think its weird I take a picture if our food before we eat it. It's kind of become a joke lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brittany! I checked out your blog. It seems that we take a similar approach to egg-free cooking by using 'normal' ingredients to substitute for egg. I hope you like this recipe. It is one of my husband's favorites! I am interested in your cut-out sugar cookies. I was just about to work on creating my own but I think I may try yours first. If I post it on my blog, I will be sure to link directly to your page so you get the traffic for the recipe! ;)

      Delete