Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

October is here!  Time for pumpkins . . . more specifically pumpkin cake!

Before food allergies, I always loved making bundt cakes.  I think they are an easy way to make a pretty cake.  Once my husband was diagnosed with an egg allergy, I figured my bundt cake making days were over.  Without egg, it is hard to find a cake that will hold together well enough for to be turned out of a bundt pan.

I have seen several recipes online that are made by simply mixing canned fruit and a cake mix.  Some also add water.  Don't make the ones that add water.  I tried that one first and it did not work.  I found this recipe for Two Ingredient Pumpkin Cake on allrecipes.com.  The recipe suggests using a 13x9 pan but some of the reviewers had used a bundt pan so that is what I tried.  It worked!  The second time I made this cake, I added oil and additional baking powder.  Adding a little fat, enhances the flavor.  Veggies sauteed in oil do taste a bit more scrumptious than those that are simply steamed with water . . .  I was a little worried that the added oil would make the cake texture too heavy so I also added a little baking powder.  

For this recipe to work, you need to use an 18.25 oz cake mix.  I used Duncan Hines® because it was the right weight and the mix is egg-free AND dairy-free.  Score for my readers that have both allergies!  For the picture, I topped the cake with a simple dusting of powdered sugar.  I think you could also use a prepared icing as most do not contain egg and many don't contain dairy.  From what I can find online, it appears that the Duncan Hines® Creamy Home-Style Cream Cheese Frosting and Classic Vanilla Frosting and  do not contain egg or dairy.  Now how any cream cheese frosting doesn't contain dairy is beyond my understanding but it would be a delicious treat for those that normally can't have it.  If you can have dairy in your diet, try this delicious maple-pecan glaze or this rich cream cheese frosting


  
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake

1 (18.25 oz package) Duncan Hines® spice cake mix
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
1/3 c vegetable oil
1 t baking powder
powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350o.  Spray bottom and sides of a bundt pan with cooking spray.  Using an electric mixer, combine the cake mix, baking powder, oil and pumpkin.  Blend on medium speed for 2 minutes, scrapping sides of bowl.  Spread evenly into the prepared pan.  Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool for at least 10 minutes in the pan, then invert to a wire rack to continue cooling.  Once cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Store the cake in the refrigerator.  It tastes even better cold! 

No comments:

Post a Comment