Saturday, September 29, 2012

Cole Slaw {Egg-free}

Cooking out is a great way to spend the last warm days of the year, especially on a game day!  Last weekend, my husband smoked a delicious brisket.  I wanted some authentic barbecue sides.  I made cole slaw, these slow cooker pinto beans and this cornbread.  Most cole slaw recipes have mayonnaise, which contains eggs or at least egg whites.  You can buy vegan/egg-free varieties but they aren't always easy to find and tend to be a little expensive.  So, I decided I would make a vinegar based dressing for my cole slaw.  This recipe was the result.  Do note that as it sets, the cabbage releases a lot of liquid so it needs to be drained prior to serving.

 

Cole Slaw {Egg-free}

16 oz package cole slaw (shredded green cabbage with carrots)
1 bunch green onion, chopped
½ c canola oil
½ c vinegar *
1 c sugar
1 t ground mustard
1 t celery seed
1 t salt
½ t black pepper

The night before, toss green onion with cole slaw in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix all remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.  Pour dressing over cole slaw.  Gently stir until cabbage is evenly coated with dressing.  Cover and refrigerate cole slaw overnight.  Drain excess liquid and stir prior to serving.  Serves 8

*Make sure the vinegar you use is gluten-free.  Most of the white distilled vinegars are at risk of having gluten in them.  I recently made this rice wine vinegar.  Becuase the rice vinegar has a milder taste than the distilled white, I found the cole slaw to be sweeter.  I thought it was a good subsitution but I would recommend reducing the sugar to 2/3 cup or 3/4 cup.  {Update 1/3/15}  

No comments:

Post a Comment