Friday, January 11, 2013

Cheesecake {Egg-free, Gluten-free}

If your holiday season was anything like ours, it was full of parties and gatherings with friends and family.  This can be a little stressful when food allergies are involved.  At one such gathering, my husband and his brother were present.  My husband is allergic to eggs and my brother-in-law is allergic to gluten.  Hmm, what to have for dessert?  How about egg-free, gluten-free cheesecake?!  It was a big hit with everyone!  Those without food allergies said they would have never known it was egg-free and gluten-free, if we hadn't told them.  I topped this delicious cheesecake with a simple fresh berry topping, which I will post soon!

If you like this recipe, you may also like my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cheesecake (EF).

Update (01/09/15):  I increased the cooking temperature up to 325(previously 300o).  It doesn't make a huge difference but the cheesecake turns slightly more golden and has a slightly improved texture at the higher temperature.


Cheesecake

3 pkg 8 oz cream cheese
1 c sugar
1 pkg gelatin (1 oz)
3 T cold water
1 c evaporated milk (8 oz)
2 t vanilla
2 c graham cracker crumbs or gluten-free cookie*
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1/3 c sugar

Set the cream cheese and butter out until they reach room temperature, prior to starting.

Preheat oven to 325o.  Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and 1/3 c sugar and press into the bottom and slightly up the sides of a spring form pan.  Set aside while preparing the filling. 

Sprinkle gelatin over water to soften.  Set aside.  Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.  Gradually add sugar and vanilla.  Bring evaporated milk to a soft boil.  Remove from heat and add softened gelatin, stirring until dissolved.   Let cool slightly.  Very gradually while mixing constantly, add the milk and gelatin mixture to the cream cheese mixture.  Once fully incorporated, scrap the sides of bowl to make sure all of the cream cheese is mixed in.  Pour into pan over prepared crust.

Bake at 325o for 1 hour.  Turn oven off.  Leave cake in oven and set the door ajar for 1 additional hour.  Chill overnight or 4 hours before serving.  Serves 8-10

*I used gluten-free S’moreables Graham Style Crackers and they worked out great.  It was an 8 ounce package and when I crushed them up it came out almost perfectly to two cups.  Depending on how sensitive you are to eggs, they were noted as may contain eggs.  My husband is not as sensitive as some.  He cannot have anything with egg ingredients but he can have something that may be proceeded on equipment with items containing egg. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm lactose intolerant...would lactose free milk work instead of the evaporated? I came across lactose free cream cheese and I'm dying to try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure. I haven't ever tried it. Does the lactose free milk heat okay? If so, then I think it would work fine. If you try it, let me know!

      Delete