Friday, October 18, 2013

Cooking with Fresh Pumpkin

We visited an orchard/farm and picked up some pie pumpkins.  Rather than just sit them outside, like I normally do, I decided to try to cooking them into pumpkin puree to make some of our favorite fall pumpkin recipes.  The two pumpkins I used yielded about 3 cups of puree.  It was the perfect amount to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (EF, DF) and Pumpkin Pie (EF, GF).  Then I roasted the seeds!

We all agreed that the fresh pumpkin was moister and even more delicious than the canned puree.  For both recipes, I did need to increase the cook times a little to allow for the increased moisture.  I will be sure to note the time differences in my recipe posts.  What will you make with your fresh pumpkin puree?

 Pie pumpkins cut in half and ready to go in the oven.

Fresh pumpkin puree ready to make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (EF, DF).

Mmmmm!

Cooking with Fresh Pumpkin - For instructions, click here.  I used the baking method.  This link also includes boiling and microwave methods.

No comments:

Post a Comment