Sunday, December 29, 2013

Crockpot Chicken

This is a recipe I have been making for years.  It has that warm comforting feel of chicken noodle soup without the noodle soup.  Actually, after making it this time, I am wondering if you could make it into chicken noodle soup.  I think all you would have to do is add more broth.  Then when it is finished cooking shred up the chicken, removing skin and bones.  Add chicken back to veggies and broth and serve with egg-free noodles.  What do you think?  Let me know if you try it before I do!

I know my husband will prefer the recipe here, since he is not a soup lover.  I usually serve the chicken and veggies with a quick and easy rice pilaf.  I hope you and your family enjoys this healthy, comforting meal!

If you like this recipe, you may also like Thyme Roasted Chicken with Onions and Potatoes (EF, GF).



Crockpot Chicken

1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
4 celery ribs, washed and chopped
1 large onion, diced
4 split chicken breasts (with bones and skin – about 4 pounds)
1 c chicken broth*
2 t dried basil
2 t salt
1 t black pepper

Place celery, onion and carrots in the bottom of slow cooker.  Top with chicken.  Pour broth over chicken.   Sprinkle chicken with basil, salt and pepper.  Cook on low for 7-9 hours.  Remove skin from chicken prior to serving.  Serve with cooked vegetables. 
*If you have a gluten allergy, make sure the chicken broth you use is gluten free.



No comments:

Post a Comment