Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pesto Pasta with Roasted Veggies

My sister-in-law made this wonderful dish for us when we were visiting, recently.  A friend had made it for them.  So, I am not sure who to give credit for the original recipe.  But here I did document the qualities and cooking methods that worked for me when I prepared it.  In my next post, I will share an easy way to have cooked chicken ready just in time for to use in this recipe and others.  

When I made this recipe, as pictured below, I used one zucchini, one squash and one pepper.  I think next time, I will use two zucchini and two squash.  I also may try it with grilled chicken and maybe even grilled veggies.  Yum!  I also think this would be great served chilled for a picnic!  So many possibilities...

If you like this recipe, you may like Chicken Pesto Pasta (EF, GF).

.



Pesto Pasta with Roasted Veggies  

2 lbs chicken, cooked and cubed
1-2 yellow squash, sliced
1-2 zucchini, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced and halved (I used orange)
1-2 T olive oil
½ t seasoned salt 
½ t freshly ground black pepper
1 c pesto (I used Classico Basil Pesto)
1 16 oz box pasta (I used bow tie)
Grated Parmesan Cheese, for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 425o.  Spread veggies in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet(s) covered with foil.  Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Mix to coat.  Cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Stir.  Cook for an additional 10 minutes.  Stir once more.  Then cook for 5 more minutes or until desired tenderness. 

Meanwhile cook pasta according to package instructions.  Once pasta is cooked and drained, stir in pesto until evenly coats pasta.  Toss in chicken and roasted veggies.  Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if using.  Serves 8

Gluten-free notes:  This dish can easily be made gluten-free.  Just replace the pasta with your favorite gluten-free variety.  According to the Heinz website (Heinz owns Classico), Classico Basil Pesto sold in the United States is gluten-free!

Dairy-free notes:  This dish can also easily be made dairy-free.  Just be sure to use a dairy-free pesto and omit the parmesan cheese.  The Classico brand I used, is not dairy-free. 

No comments:

Post a Comment