Friday, July 6, 2012

Pesto Panini


I know most people don't need a recipe for a Panini sandwich.  My goal here is to give you another easy egg-free meal idea for lunch or dinner.  Plus, when it is hot outside, it is nice to cook without heating up the oven.  I used some of our leftover pesto from making chicken pesto pasta last week. 

If you don't have a Panini press, let me recommend the Breville Panini Grill.  It is kind of expensive but worth every penny.  We use ours to make all kind of sandwiches and quesadillas.  I bought one for my parents a few years ago and I think it is thier most used kitchen appliance other than their coffee pot!

 
Pesto Panini 

1 bakery focaccia bread
1 pound deli shredded turkey
4-8 slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese
4 T pesto

Using a serrated bread knife, cut focaccia bread in half.  Then cut each half in half.  Slice each quarter of the focaccia loaf in half horizontally to make to sandwiches slices.  On each bottom slice, spread 1 T pesto.  Then add ¼ of the turkey and 1 - 2 slices of cheese.  Grill in your Panini press until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.  After cooking, I added some fresh greens and tomatoes to get our veggies in.   
Serves 4

Gluten-free notes:  This sandwich can easily be made gluten-free.  Just replace the bread with your favorite gluten-free variety.  You will also need to make sure the deli meat is gluten free.  According to the Heinz website (Heinz owns Classico), Classico Basil Pesto sold in the United States is gluten-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment