Sunday, July 29, 2012

Buttermilk Waffles {Egg-free}

My grandmother used to make the most delicious waffles.  I inherited this wonderful recipe.  It calls for 4 eggs to make just 8 waffles.  That recipe has been officially off the menu since my husband was diagnosed with an egg allergy.  But we still would like to enjoy the occasional waffle and I have been determined to find a way to make an egg-free version.  After many attempts, I think I finally have a recipe worthy to share on my blog.  I don't even really remember cooking waffles with egg in them, but I do think these have a tendency to stick to the waffle iron a little more.  I would highly recommend using a nonstick waffle iron and brushing the heated iron with a little additional oil in between each waffle.  My waffles, still stuck some but I found they released pretty easily when loosened with a fork.

If you like these buttermilk waffles, try this recipe for pancakes.


 
Buttermilk Waffles

2 c all-purpose flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
½ t salt
1 c buttermilk
1 c skim milk
1/3 c oil

Preheat waffle iron.  Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a stand mixer or electric mixer, gradually add milks and oil, while blending on low.  Scrap sides of the bowl to ensure all dry ingredients are being incorporated.  Then mix on medium speed until blended through.  Brush waffle iron with additional oil in between each waffle.  Pour about ½ cup batter onto a waffle iron heated to medium heat.  To help with sticking, try to avoid getting too much batter in your waffle iron.  If it oozes to the edge while cooking, it is more likely to stick.  Makes about 8 waffles.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic recipe, crunchy outside soft chewy centers! I do not have an egg allergy I just didn't have eggs. I will be using this recipe from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked them. This is another reason why I try to create/find recipes with common ingredients so anyone can use them! :)

      Delete