Saturday, July 28, 2012

Taco Salad

I know most of you don't need a recipe for taco salad.  But I was hoping this would be a dinner idea when you are stuck with the age old question:  "What's for dinner?"  I started this blog to share recipes with other food allergy families, but it is quickly becoming a meal log for my family.  When I get stuck on what to cook or need to quickly reference a recipe, I look here. 

What I love about recipes like taco salad is that each person can make theirs to satisfy their own taste.  This makes it an instant crowd pleaser.  To make the shells, I baked mine in the oven in tortilla shell makers like these.  This is easy and healthier than frying them! 


Taco Salad

1 pound ground beef
1 taco seasoning packet
1-2 cans refried beans

Suggested additional toppings:  salsa, lettuce, tomato, black olives and cheese (for those not allergic).

Preheat oven to 350o.  Bake the tortillas in the tortilla shell pans for about 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.  Allow to cool a few minutes in the pans.  As they cool, they will become crisper.  Brown the meat in a large skillet.  Drain.  Add taco seasoning and recommended water on the seasoning packet.  Warm the beans in microwave or on the stove top.  Transfer tortilla shells to a plate fill with beans, taco meat and desired toppings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment