Friday, September 14, 2012

Easy Chicken Enchiladas

This is another recipe that seems too simple to share but again we all need easy dinner ideas from time to time.  Plus, this is another great use for the shredded chicken recipe I shared several months ago.  Every time split breasts are on special, I buy four large ones.  I usually use half of the chicken to make shredded chicken tacos and freeze the other half to make these enchiladas later in the month. 

I have made my own green sauce in the past, which can be a little time consuming.  Honestly, the canned sauce is really pretty good.  So, I have a hard time getting motivated to make it from scratch.  I usually buy a 28 oz can of the green chili enchilada sauce and use half and freeze half for a later batch.  The frozen sauce works best if you thaw it and then simmer it for a few minutes on the stove top.  If you don't do that, it will be a little lumpy and will make your enchiladas too soggy.  Enchiladas almost always have cheese.  If you or your family are allergic to dairy, I think these would still be really good without the cheese.

If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy Mexican Chicken Casserole (EF, GF).


Easy Chicken Enchiladas

2 split chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 t ground cumin
1 14-15 oz green chili enchilada sauce*
12 soft corn tortillas
2 c shredded cheddar jack cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350o.  Sprinkle chicken with cumin and stir to incorporate.  If you are not using my recipe for shredded chicken, you may want to add some garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.  Warm both sides of each corn tortilla on a griddle over medium heat.  This will help the tortillas roll without breaking.  Dip the warmed tortilla in green sauce, fill with chicken, roll and place seam down into a baking pan.  Repeat for each enchilada.  Once the pan is full, pour remaining green sauce over the enchiladas.  Top with shredded cheese (omit cheese if allergic).  Bake enchiladas in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 12 enchiladas

*  The enchilada sauce I linked to above, contains wheat.  Let me know if anyone knows of a good gluten-free variety.     

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to find another egg-free blog like my own! This recipe looks great! I am glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete