Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Pizza & Christmas Traditions

Everyone is always asking me what our Christmas traditions are.  I was talking to my husband about that a couple of weeks ago.  I think it is all too easy to get caught up in all the 'doing' during the Christmas season and not spend enough time just enjoying it.  We are trying to stay focused on the reason for the season, Christ's birthday, and spending time with family.  But here are a couple of simple Christmas 'traditions' that allow you to enjoy each other! 

This past weekend, we decided to have a family Christmas movie night.  You can't have movie night without pizza!  From this blog, I got the idea to make a candy cane shaped pizza.  Some of my pepperoni strips moved during cooking, but you get the idea.  We used our own recipe for the pizza dough that we got from a family friend.  The dough is so easy to make and is egg-free and dairy-free.  We enjoyed some yummy pizza then curled up together in the living room for a holiday movie.  Such a fun evening with our kids!  

 

Pizza Dough

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 c warm water (105o to 115o)
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 T vegetable oil
2 ½ c flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Stir in remaining ingredients; beat vigorously for 20 strokes.  (I used my stand mixer with the dough hook on speed two until formed into a soft ball.)  Cover dough with a towel and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Press dough onto greased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Spread with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.  Bake at 425o for about 20-25 minutes.
  
We also made Christmas trees out of ice cream cones this weekend.  I think there was just as much eating as decorating!  Check out this blog for ideas.






No comments:

Post a Comment