Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

I have previously posted recipes for Chocolate Chip Oat Cookies and Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I make both of these recipes with butter.  One of my readers, successfully made Chocolate Chip Cookies without dairy, but I still wanted to create a truly dairy-free chocolate chip cookie recipe of my own.  Plus, I usually buy three pounds of bananas a week.  So, I am always looking for creative ways to use my leftover, slightly overripe bananas.  These were a hit with the family.  My husband still prefers the buttery versions, but said he will happily eat these anytime I want to make them.  He will likely see the Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies more frequently, as they are slightly healthier than their buttery counterparts.   




Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ c mashed bananas, about one medium
½ c vegetable shortening
½ c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
2½ c flour
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips*

Preheat oven to 375o.  Cream together the banana, shortening, both sugars and vanilla.  Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt, mixing constantly.  Slowly mix in the flour.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 8-10 minutes.  Let cool for 2 minutes on cookie sheet before removing. 
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


*If you are allergic to dairy, make sure the chocolate chips you use are dairy-free.




No comments:

Post a Comment