Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hot Fudge Sundae Cake {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

I am always looking for new recipes to try.  Most of the time, I am looking for something that can easily convert into an egg-free recipe.  I was looking through one of my Mom's new cookbooks and I found this recipe and it was even egg-free!  I was a little suspicious when I read the instructions.  Once it cooks, there is a cake-like layer on top and a chocolate fudge layer on bottom.  I was so pleasantly surprised!  My husband loved it!  He suggested that I rename it Hot Fudge Sundae Brownies.  I agree it is more like a brownie than cake but I am leaving the title as is since I am posting the recipe as originally written.

If you like this recipe, you may also like Brownies (EF, DF).


MMmmm . . . warm chocolate goodness with vanilla ice cream!

This is what it looks like fresh out of the oven.



Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
Source:  A Grandmother’s Legacy:  Amish & Mennonite Cooking

1 c flour
¾ c sugar
2 T cocoa
2 t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ c milk or dairy-free substitute
2 T vegetable oil
1 c chopped nuts, optional
1 c brown sugar
¼ c cocoa
1 ¾ c hot water
Ice cream or dairy-free substitute

Preheat oven to 350o.  Mix first five ingredients in an ungreased 9x13” pan.  Mix milk and oil.  Add to mixture in the pan, stirring with a fork until smooth.  Stir in nuts.  Spread evenly in pan.  Mix brown sugar and cocoa together and sprinkle over top.  Pour hot water gently over batter.  Bake 40 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream and spoon “topping” left in pan over ice cream.
Serves 8-12

Dairy-free notes:  Because this cake only has ½ c of milk, I think it could easily be made dairy-free and topped with dairy-free ice cream.  I am labeling it as dairy-free, even though I have not tried it.  Please let me know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment