Friday, March 8, 2013

Smothered Steak {Slow-cooker}

I was a bit of a skeptic when I first saw this recipe.  I am not a lover of gravy.  But I wanted to try a new recipe with cubed steak and the fact that this used the slow-cooker made it even more appealing.  I was so pleasantly surprised by the results and my husband LOVES this recipe.  I serve it with one of his favorite sides, mashed potatoes, and another less starchy vegetable.  This night I made Sugar-kissed Carrots.

One of my husband's favorite meals before his egg allergy diagnosis, was chicken fried steak with brown gravy. You get some of the same flavors here.  I have also made a breaded steak or steak fingers that can also satisfy his craving.  I will share that one, eventually . . .

I made this recipe pretty close to the original version found on Tasty Kitchen.  I added onion and black pepper.  I also sautéed the onion and mushroom before adding them to the slow-cooker.  I think this makes sure they are tender and improves the flavor.  I also added the amount of steak.  The first time I made this, I thought there was way too much gravy for the amount of steak.

If you like this recipe, you may also like Roast, Carrots and Potatoes (EF).




Smothered Steak {Slow-cooker}
This recipe was adapted from Slow Cooker Melt in Your Mouth Cube Steak andGravy  from Tasty Kitchen.

1½ - 2 pound cubed steak (about 6-8 pieces)
flour for breading 
3 T olive oil 
1 8 oz package fresh mushrooms, sliced 
1 onion, halved and sliced 
3 cups water, divided 
3 envelopes brown gravy mix (I used one low-sodium beef gravy, one mushroom gravy and one onion gravy.
½ t freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Roll cubed steak in flour.  Place floured steak in hot skillet and sear until just browned on each side.  Place steak in crock pot.  Add mushrooms and onions to the same skillet and sauté until both are tender.  Spoon mushrooms and onions over steak in slow cooker and sprinkle with black pepper.  Cover with two cups of water. Cook on low for 8 hours.  Half an hour before serving, mix the gravy packs with the remaining cup of water.  Pour the gravy mixture over the cubed steak. Let cook for 30 minutes more or until the gravy has thickened. 

Serves 6 

No comments:

Post a Comment