Monday, April 29, 2013

Baked Chicken Taquitos

Taquitos are not health food.  A traditional taquito is made of shredded meat, wrapped in a corn tortilla and then fried to crispy perfection.  I really avoid frying anything at home.  I figure if we are going to indulge in fried food, we will go out to eat.  We really only eat out once a week and try to keep things somewhat healthy or at least healthier at home.

I have been wanting to try a baked chicken taquito.  When I was making this Mexican Chicken Casserole (EF, GF) last month, I kept thinking this chicken mixture would make a great taquito filling.  So, after some changes, I adapted it as such.  I also used flour tortillas as they roll easier.  You generally have heat the corn tortillas in oil to get them to roll without cracking or breaking.  These still aren't super healthy, but they are much better for you than what you would eat out and they would make a great party food to share!!  How about a Cinco De Mayo party?!





Baked Chicken Taquitos
Filling inspired by MexicanChicken Casserole Cooking Light DECEMBER 1998

1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 (4.5-ounce) cans whole green chilies, diced
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup (2 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
20-30 fajita size flour tortillas*

Preheat oven to 425° and line a cookie sheet with foil.  Spray foil with cooking spray and set aside.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until soft.  Stir in garlic and green chilies.  Add milk, Monterrey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken.  Cook on medium-high heat or until boiling.  Cook down some of the liquid for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling in each tortilla. Roll the tortilla closed and place seam side down on prepared pan. Spray tops of taquitos with cooking spray. Bake the taquitos for about 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  Serve with guacamole, salsa and/or sour cream.

*I made 20 of these but towards the end they were getting kind of fat because I saw I had too much filling left.  I even had some leftover.  Next time, I plan to make 30.  I liked the ones rolled a little tighter best.

No comments:

Post a Comment