Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Quick Pesto Pasta


Do you need a quick pasta side dish?  I used to buy this really good quick mix pasta side dish that they stopped selling at my local grocery stores.  After failing to find a suitable replacement, I came up with this quick side dish.  I am making the Parmesan cheese optional.  You can decide, if you want it in or not.  For me, if I am serving it with Baked Chicken Parmesan (EF) I will include the cheese.  But if I am serving with something like Chicken Marsala (posting soon), then I will leave it out.  The picture below does not have cheese in it.  But then my husband and kids added it to theirs.  So, maybe I should always just keep it in!

If you like this recipe, you may also like Chicken Pesto Pasta (EF, GF).




Quick Pesto Pasta  

1 16 oz box pasta (can use gluten-free)
1/4 c milk
1/4 c pesto (I used Classico Basil Pesto.)
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Cook pasta according to the package instructions.  Drain well.  Return to warm cooking pot but off of the burner.  Stir milk and pesto into hot pasta, until fully incorporated and milk slightly absorbs.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted. 
Serves 8

Gluten-free notes:  This dish can easily be made gluten-free.  Just replace the pasta with your favorite gluten-free variety.  According to the Heinz website (Heinz owns Classico), Classico Basil Pesto sold in the United States is gluten-free!

No comments:

Post a Comment