Friday, February 21, 2014

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts

If you saw my post for Crispy Apricot Pork Chops (EF, DF) over a year ago from January 2013, I pretty much decided we would be a family that just didn't eat Brussels sprouts!  I had tried a roasting them.  When roasting them, I thought they turned out too charred.  Since that time, I have had them prepared two different ways that I have enjoyed and both times they were shredded!  Ah!  I guess that is key for me.

You can buy the shredded Brussels Sprouts at most grocers in the bagged salad section.  They come prewashed and ready to eat!  I have had these raw tossed in a salad.  Delicious!  They stay nice and crisp in dressing and a different flavor than some of the other green leafy vegetables.

A friend of mine sautéed them!  I think she just sautéed them in a little butter with salt and pepper.  I used half olive oil and half butter.  Using the half mixture, gives you the flavor of butter with less fat and cholesterol.  The oil also keeps the butter from burning when you preheat your skillet.  A similar butter and oil mixture is used Seared Scallops (EF, GF).  So simple, but so delicious!!
 




Sautéed Brussels Sprouts

9 oz bag of shaved Brussels Sprouts
½ T olive oil
½ T unsalted butter or non-dairy subsitute
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until butter is melted.  Add sprouts and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Sauté about 3 minutes or until turn bright green and start to soften.


No comments:

Post a Comment