Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wheat Banana Muffins {Egg-free, Dairy-free}

Here is another attempt to make some of our favorite recipes a little healthier.  I replaced half of the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour in my most popular recipe, Banana Muffins (EF, DF).

I know these muffins still aren't whole wheat, but it is still a big increase in fiber when compared to muffins only made with white flour.  Whole wheat flour has 6 times more fiber than all-purpose white flour.  So, by substituting just half of the flour with whole wheat, these muffins now have 3 times the fiber!

Of all the recipes, I have substituted half of the flour for whole wheat, the change is least noticeable in this one.  You can't tell I changed anything at all!  I tell you these muffins are the most resilient recipe ever, as you can see in my notes in the original recipe, all kinds of substitutions have been made and they always cook up and taste great.  I don't know how I came up with a recipe that works so well but it is a favorite for sure!  Next time, I may try them with only wheat flour...



Wheat Banana Muffins

¾ c all-purpose flour
¾ c whole wheat flour
¾ c - 1 c sugar*
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
½ t salt
¼ c vegetable oil
¼ c milk or non-dairy milk
3 medium mashed bananas
1 t vanilla extract

Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, blend the bananas until smooth.  Add oil, milk and vanilla mixing until combined.  Slowing add in the dry ingredients, while mixing the batter.  Spoon batter evenly into 12 greased muffin tins.  Bake at 375o for 16-20 minutes.  Cool in muffin tins.  Makes 12 muffins

*I have always made these with 1 cup of sugar.  The last time I made them, I reduced it to ¾ c of sugar.  I thought it worked really well. [update 09/16/15]

No comments:

Post a Comment