Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Taco Meat

We eat a lot of tacos and or quesadillas.  You can pretty much put any meat in a tortilla or shell and my family will eat it.  So, guess what we do with most of our leftovers...

On this blog, I have shared recipes for Shredded Beef Tacos (EF, DF), Shredded Chicken Tacos (EF, DF, GF), Shrimp Tacos (EF, DF, GF) and even Chili Rubbed Salmon Tacos (EF, DF, GF).  I also admitted to using a taco seasoning packet in Taco Salad (EF, DF).

I often use taco seasoning packets to make regular ground beef tacos at our house.  But I also use my own seasoning mix, if I don't have a packet handy or just because.  I especially like to use my own taco seasoning when I am using the taco meat in a recipe.  I use less salt in my recipe and a lot of times whatever you are adding it to has more than enough sodium.  I even buy the low sodium taco seasoning packets and sometimes that is still too salty for some recipes.

So, here is my recipe for ground beef taco meat.  Try it in this recipe for simple Smothered Burritos!




Taco Meat

1 pound lean ground beef
½ t onion powder
½ t garlic powder
½ t season salt
1 t cumin
1 T chili powder

Add ground beef to a large heated skillet.  Cook until coarsely crumbled.  Drain.  (I like to rinse in a colander under hot water to get it as lean as possible.)   Add remaining seasonings.  Stir frequently to incorporate spices.  Serve in warm flour tortillas with your favorite taco toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment